Sign up here
to get the latest updates and news from Independent
Records. We'll let you in on any new services or features
that IR has coming down the road that can help you
get your music out there.
Fan Email Marketing Made Easy
Using emails for online music marketing proves to be a very difficult task to master, but a
very important one that every artist must master. Fan club newsletters allow fans to stay
connected with the artists without the added effort of returning to the artist’s site. I have
simplified it into three key areas for a successful fan club email newsletter.
One of the hardest parts in compiling a music newsletter is getting subscribers to read it!
1. Create an interesting subject title. Just like blogs and articles, no one will start to
read the newsletter if the title or subject line does not generate interest in the fan to
read the publication. “August Newsletter” does not perk interest in a subject line.
2. Make it personal to the subscriber. Instead of writing a general “hi,” make the
newsletter specific for everyone. This makes the fan feel important to the artist
because their personal name is used. Similarly, use the band’s name or specific
artist’s name when closing the letter to add to the personal effect.
3. Write for the reader. The newsletter is not a place to sell products and promote
music, but rather a place to write interesting content the reader wants to read.
Occasionally mentioning new fan merchandise is all right, but always keep the reader
in mind. Target your content to the reader and make sure it is relevant to their
4. Personalize it more. Have options the user can choose makes the letter just for
them. For instance, allow them to insert their zip code for the option of receiving
info when the band is touring in their area. The more personal and specific towards
the fan, the more apt they will want to read it.
5. Provide relevant links. Hand-in-hand with writing the newsletter for the fans,
provide the fans with relevant links they would want. Direct them towards other
music related sites or services.
Perfecting the Newsletter
1. Find the perfect layout. The design and layout of the newsletter may need several
revisions before finding the perfect look. Having color and formatting are necessary
but can be overdone. In addition, inserting picture and video that the fans would
like make the newsletter stand out more.
2. Choose the correct day and time. Fans need to expect the newsletter in a consistent
manner, whether it is every week or every month. EmailLabs reports the best day to
send emails is Tuesday or Wednesday in the morning hours when people regularly
check their email. After picking a day, stay consistent with that day and time.
3. Encourage word-of-mouth marketing. Add a “Send to a Friend” button where your
fans can easily send the newsletter to anyone they believe would enjoy it. Word-ofmouth
marketing is the most effective, so encourage it as much as possible.
4. Check the newsletter before emailing it to fans. Based on the type of server your fan
uses, (Hotmail, Yahoo, Google, AOL, etc.) the newsletter may show up differently.
Sign-up to all the major email servers and send the newsletter to yourself to check
the formatting in each before sending a faulty newsletter to all your fans.
Track Email Stats
Track all statistics relevant to the email campaign. Valid metrics include:
• Click through rate
• Open rate
• Click to open
• Bounce rate
• Referral rate
• Unsubscribe rate
If these statistics do not meet standards, chances are the design format or content is not
relating to the fans. Start by asking these basic questions:
• What are your fans not getting out of the newsletter?
• Why do they not find it valuable?
• Does the content need to be more targeted?
Email campaigns are an ongoing process requiring constant attention and direction.
Email newsletters are important for maintaining a constant fan base. To gain more
subscribers, refer to the newsletter as a fan club and offer exclusive offers to fan club
members only, like pre-sale tickets or discounts. Your band will instantly see a bigger
subscribing list / fan base after implementing these techniques.